The Best Fibre for ConstipationPublished on January 26, 2022
Constipation may result from the lack of the three F’s — Fibre, Fluid and Fitness or due to medical conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome.
When it comes to whipping your digestive system into shape and preventing constipation, you would be surprised by how powerful fibre is. However, even knowing all the benefits fibre offers, many Australians still do not consume as much as they should.
Is all fibre the same?
Not all fibre is the same. There are two fibre types, soluble and insoluble.
- Soluble fibre — Soluble fibre helps to slow the emptying process in your stomach and keeps you feeling fuller. Soluble fibre is found in fruits, vegetables, oats, barley and legumes.
- Insoluble fibre — Insoluble fibre absorbs water to help soften your stool and helps you stay regular. Insoluble fibre is found in wholegrain breads and cereals, nuts, seeds, wheat bran and the skin of fruit and vegetables.
How much fibre do we need?
Australian women should aim for 25 grams each day, while men should aim for 30 grams daily.
The Better Health Channel recommends increasing your fibre intake by:
- Eating breakfast cereals that contain wholegrains like barley, wheat or oats.
- Switching to wholemeal or multigrain breads and brown rice.
- Adding an extra vegetable to every evening meal.
- Snacking on fruit, nuts or wholemeal crackers.
When fibre isn’t enough
Increasing the fibre in your diet may help provide relief for constipation in some cases, if your constipation symptoms persist speak to your healthcare practitioner about the Dulco range of products.
The Dulco range includes Dulcolax Tablets and Dulcolax SP Drops that provide clinically proven relief from constipation. Dulcolax suppositories are effective in 20-45 minutes [PP1] [NN/2] [NN/3] for predictable relief from constipation and DulcoSoft Oral Solution Powder, a powder clinically proven to relieve constipation, that softens hard stool and gently relieves constipation in 24-48 hours.
Always read the label and follow the directions for use.
Learn about which Dulcolax product may be appropriate for you.SEE THE PRODUCTS HERE